The success of your presentation will be judged not by the knowledge you send but by what the listener receives
I received lots of useful tips to get ready and nail presentations during a JCI Monaco training held by Alicia Sedgwick. Alicia is a private coach and teaches ‘Public Speaking, Managing People and Communication in Business’ at the International University of Monaco.
Here are some of her tips focusing on how to prepare for a presentation :
- Know your audience – Who are they? What is it that they want or need (being informed, persuaded etc)?
- Prepare how you can give them what they want/need: adapt your communication/presentation/speech
A few minutes before your presentation
- Visualize yourself getting on the stage. Be clear on how you’ll enter and exit
- Warm up your voice – repeat a few times “Red lorry, yellow lorry”
If you feel a little nervous…
- Have a mantra to repeat to yourself : “I’m a fabulous public speaker!”
- Sing a song in your head that will pep you up
- Breathe with the diaphragm. Take a deep breath counting to 7, expire counting to 11. Repeat a few times
If you liked this post and you want to hear more from This Sheep is Orange, you can sign up to this blog or follow the LinkedIn page.